Did you know that:
- Canada falls in the bottom 3 of the world’s richest countries for the number of paid vacation days workers are entitled to;
- The International Labour Organization recommends that the period of paid vacation shall in no case be less than three working weeks for one year of service;
- All provinces, except Saskatchewan, allow for only 2 weeks of paid vacation to employees covered by labour standards, and;
- Under Ontario’s labour standards, the 2 weeks per year of paid vacation is not extended to three weeks or more after a few years of service.
When workers stand up together for fairness:
- Workers get more paid time off and more paid vacation time for a better work-life balance.
- Not only do workers get more paid holidays, but also fairer processes to distribute paid holidays and even turn overtime into more paid time off year round.
- And together, more can be done, such as getting at least three weeks of paid vacation per year for all workers across Canada.