New members at LL2413 ratify first contract with immediate gains
13 May, 2022
Toronto, ON – The new IAM members at Local Lodge 2413 ratified a first collective agreement with Menzies Cargo at the Toronto Pearson International Airport. The agreement ratified by a whopping 95.2% acceptance.
The organizing campaign started in November 2021 with the workers eagerly seeking meaningful wage increases, instead of those the employer had provided. After the Labour Board certified the IAMAW in January 2022, the union was able to negotiate significant wage increases retroactive to that date. This equates to almost 4 months back pay which, for some full-time workers, equates to about $2000.
Other highlights of the new contract are:
- 2-year CBA allows the parties the ability to implement immediate measures for improvements, yet be able get back to a bargaining table in just over a year and a half!
- Union/Management meetings to be held every 2 months to address issues and to keep open lines of communications
- Paid lunch breaks and double-time (2x) when working overtime on a Statutory/General Holiday
- Health and Safety language to keep the workplace safe
- Expedited arbitration and grievance procedures to address workers complaints
- Seniority provisions that apply to lay-off and recall rights as well as language addressing job postings, promotions and transfers
- Overtime improvements with better access to time-and-a-half as well as an overtime bank for those who want to bank hours for paid time off at a later date
- Better uniform allotment and significant increase towards safety footwear
- Paid Jury Duty leave and improved bereavement leave
- Formula for 10 PAID Sick Days per year and 5 Personal Days (3 PAID) per year
- Improved Group Insurance Benefits with options for people in the legacy plan
- Introduction of a matching RRSP where Menzies will contribute up to 4%
The Union also negotiated language around pandemics, epidemics, and public health outbreaks which provides members with additional rights.
The 31 new members perform warehouse and office work in the following classifications:
Cargo Handlers, Cargo Handler Leads, Cargo Agents, & Cargo Agent Leads with contracts for KLM, Air France, and LOT Polish Airlines.
– 30 –
For more information:
This article was originally posted on the IAM Canada website. View the original post here: New members at LL2413 ratify first contract with immediate gains