In 2019, the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) held its first-ever Indigenous Lobby Day on Parliament Hill, which brought together 129 participants from 21 different union affiliates to meet with 78 Members of Parliament and Senators in Ottawa. Settler and Indigenous activists stood together to call for action on Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls and Two-Spirit people, access to clean drinking water on reserves, honouring residential school children and Indigenous education, and a National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. While there has been some movement on these priorities, there is so much more to be done.
The CLC is planning a second Indigenous Lobby Day on October 3, 2023.
The Provincial Executive is seeking Members from OSSTF/FEESO to attend as delegates.
Criteria for Application
The Provincial Executive is looking for members who self-identify as First Nations, Métis, and/or Inuit and:
- have strong expertise and knowledge of First Nations, Métis and Inuit education issues;
- have worked with First Nations, Métis and/or Inuit communities and/or organizations in a professional and/or personal capacity;
- have knowledge and experience, locally or provincially, in labour issues, and participate in Labour and OSSTF/FEESO activities.
Any member in good standing with OSSTF/FEESO interested in applying for the CLC Indigenous Lobby Day should:
- submit a brief letter outlining “Why you want to participate in the CLC Lobby Day?”
- add any other experience and expertise in the above criteria they would like the Provincial Executive to consider, and
- be able to secure release time for October 2 and 3. Please confirm with your Bargaining Unit President.
Any expenses not covered by the CLC for this event will be reimbursed by OSSTF/FEESO (i.e., release time, accommodations, travel, meals) as per Federation Activity Allowable Expenditure Guidelines 2023-2024.
Applicants are encouraged to complete the OSSTF/FEESO Self-Identification form and submit it with their letter.
Application forms should be submitted no later than 4:00 pm on September 11, 2023, to the attention of Vanessa.Stoby@osstf.ca.
Courtesy of the CLC